Tuesday, March 13, 2007

All's well that ends well

Oh yea (to quote YJ's regular saying)!

Yesterday I had to make a tough decision: whether to go for the Pathlight School camp or to go for bridge training/duplicates session. I chose to go for Bridge, because after bridge I still can go to Pathlight and have dinner with the kids.

So in the afternoon I went for bridge. Initially I wanted to cycle to school, but my geographic instincts warned me about the weather and fortunately, I chose not to. Bridge was fun. YJ and I played a million times better for today's session than during the selections, and guess what? We won the duplicates!!!! Won as in 1st! Yea YEa YEA!!!! We did not really 'own' the others, but still, we played well, and that's the most important thing! We had some close calls and lucky bids but it seems that our partnership finally benefited from those long discussions I had with YJ in the mornings and after school! We finally proved our critics and detractors wrong!!!

Of course, there is still a lot to be done, and we still need to improve our skills and bidding knowledge and concentration, but on the overall, it was a good performance from us. Muhd and Morch also played well, well done guys! YJ and I learnt a lot today, especially from the -800 game, and I think learning from our mistakes is the best way forward. I am also especially proud of myself that I was finally able to CONCENTRATE and FOCUS during the games and not be distracted by whatever.

After bridge I went to Pathlight School. I had dinner with the kids and we watched a slide show of all the wonderful memories we created over the past 2 days. Then the kids and the volunteers were given some souvenirs (a water bottle, towel and a sports bag) from the very generous Mr Ravi and Mr Dennis. All of us even received a laminated group photo of everyone taken at Macritche!

What was really touching to me was when the kids gave us (the volunteers) a very mighty 3 cheers! It really came from their hearts and they really enjoyed themselves over the past 2 days. Then the parents came over and thanked me, and I was really touched once again. The camp may have officially ended, and the children may have gone home, but somehow, I got a feeling that this won't be the last time I see these children. Somehow.

No comments:

 
my pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!