Monday, October 1, 2007

On gays in society

I am angry.

Angry that the media is targeting a man, a brilliant teacher, a humble educator, for admitting that he is gay.

That teacher is Mr. Otto Fong, and he taught me science during sec 1 and 2. And he was the one who developed my liking for physics. It was he who showed me encouragement whenever my form dipped. It was he who showered praise whenever my form peaked. And he, I can safely say, is one of the best teachers in the whole of Raffles Institution.

Never once did he display any act of indecency. Never once.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being gay, as long as the subject behaves properly. I have always felt that a homosexual is born homosexual. Don't bring me the religious point of view. I will not argue against it but i will not accept it. Think about it. Ask yourself, are you a homosexual? If your answer is no, do you think you will become a homosexual one day? Obviously not. If you are born not gay, you will not turn gay. Simple as that. If you are born gay, you can't change it. You can force yourself to act not gay but you won't be happy.

If I can remember my biology properly, i would say that there is a homosexual gene. And most likely this gene is recessive, for homosexuals belong to the minority. It is therefore, not influenced by external conditions/variations. A gay is born gay, not made gay.

Of course there are some sick, perverted people who display extreme acts of homosexuality. These people are mostly despotic females who think that being lesbian and kissing each other is hot. It is not. It makes my insides turn upside down. If we must discriminate, let us discriminate against these sick people. These people do not deserve our respect.

We live in a society that does not discriminate against race, language or religion. This society, then, should not discriminate against sexual orientation. It is not their fault that thay are born this way.

I feel that Mr Fong did the right thing in admitting that he is gay, because there is nothing wrong with being honest. He did not want to deceive the people around him. Maybe he heard the people arounf him cracking jokes about homosexuals. Is it his fault if he wanted to put an end to that? By admitting he is gay, he will no longer have to suffer by hearing such jokes. I guess that it must be really painful to force yourself to laugh to such jokes all the time in order to create the impression to others that you are not gay.

I am glad that Headmaster Koh has showed decisive leadership in terminating his suspension. Mr Fong, in my opinion, should not be sacked.

No comments:

 
my pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!